Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Playing with The Red Queen

{mixed media art journal page}


Here Comes Summer

We have a brand new challenge over at Top Tip Tuesday and I am hosting this one. We are looking for anything that reflects summertime on your paper project, hence the flowers on my art journal page. This fun digital image was supplied to me by our sponsor, Bugaboo Stamps, and it's called Bobblehead Kid Princess. However I used her to create the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland via Tim Burton's version. I loved playing with this digi and I created another page which I'll share in a minute. 

First, a little housekeeping though because we have a brand new teamie here at TTT and her name is Kat. I hope you'll drop by her blog and give her a big welcome!

To create my page I used Faber-Castell Gelatos for the background, stamped the ranunculus rubber stamp on both sides of my page with Archival Jet Black ink and colored it with various Faber-Castell Pitt Pens. I added some texture to my page with Wendy Vecchi's Checkmake stencil and her fab white embossing paste. I titled my page using a font {Channel} that I found on Pinterest and matted it with cardstock and a Spellbinders die created my wrought iron fence and added the finishing touch. I should note two things-I drew heart shaped sunglasses on the digi to mimic those worn by the Red Queen in Tim Burton's AIW movie and after applying my gelatos and color to the flowers I white washed the background with Picket Fence Distress Stain, then I applied more color to the flowers. It toned everything down and gave my art journal page a subtle look.  

Here are a few close ups









Now for my second page which is quite different. 

I love Dyan Reavely's Luscious Leaves 9x12 stencil and it helped me create this awesome floor in the Red Queen's throne room. I spread a coat of Wendy Vecchi's black embossing paste over it and used white acrylic paint {2 layers} to provide the stark black/white contrast of a checkered floor. The card images are from a blueprint stamp set by Tim Holtz and I used them for the body of the knaves and a Spellbinders heart for the head. I drew the background freehand and colored the pillars and curtains with Faber-Castell Pitt Pens. Tim's harlequin layering stencil was used on my background to create depth and I added a few here and there just because I love them. :)  

The title was computer generated and matted to a piece of black cardstock

He may be in the shadows but the Mad Hatter makes an appearance

and a knave

and yes, It's all Fun and Games Until the Queen Arrives


I'm entering my art journal pages into the following challenges:
eclectic Paperie ePlay Challenge-Get Stenciled!
Craft My Life Challenge-Anything Goes
613 Avenue Create Challenge-Anything Goes 
The Artistic Stamper Creative Team Blog: May Challenge-In the Garden
{I am entering the first art journal page for this challenge, the ranunculus rubber stamp is by Stampendous and I stamped it twice on either side}


Thanks for looking and I hope you'll join us for our Here Comes Summer challenge at TTT.
For more inspiration please visit my teamies blogs, you'll find their links on my right sidebar.

Have a terrific day!
Lisa xx



11 comments:

Lisa Minckler said...

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!!!! I'm over here clapping like an idiot. I LOVE the glasses you drew on and both pages are INCREDIBLE!! We are HUGE Tim Burton fans over here and I am in complete awe of your artwork and talent L1. These are FABULOUS. Awesome job on that checkered floor too.
hugs,
L2

Anonymous said...

Great fun creation hunny! so much to see and look at LOVE the embossing paste too! hugs me x

Kat W said...

Well hello there teamie! I finally found time to pop by and follow you!
Wow, these journal pages are amazing; the detail and texture is incredible and I love how you used the digi to make the Red Queen :-)
Looking forward to working with you at Top Tip Tuesday!
Hugs, Kat x

Sue Lelli said...

Love your queen journal pages! All of your details are fabulous! Gorgeous flowers Lisa! Great queen!

Micki said...

That art journal page (the first one) just made me smile. Love the colors with the little queen and the stenciled texture is perfect. Your second one is wonderful too. Great use of stencils. Thanks so much for playing along in our May ePlay Challenge!

Mona Pendleton said...

Fantastic pages Lisa! What a great assortment! Love all the texture!

1CardCreator said...

Love all you have going on here, so many great details to look at and admire! Fabulous piece! ~Diane

Jo Ann said...

Great job on decorating these notebooks...Love the water-colored images on the first card and the bold colors on the other card. So glad you link up with us at 613 Avenue Create. Hugs and blessings!

JO ANN
http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

Margaret said...

LOVE both of these! The soft pastel flowers are a wonderful contrast on the first page, and I love the 'hidden' art on the second page-and that FLOOR!!!! Your fun and games quote sounds like something my kids would say about me!

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for joining in with The Artistic Stamper challenge this month :)

Erin Smetak said...

WOW! There are just no words! These pages are PHENOMENAL!!!!!!!!
Of course, your stenciling is rockin, but the whole project just screams creative imagination!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!!

Thank you SO much for playing in our ePlay stencil challenge!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...